Human Resources Department
Elwood Public Schools
100 Kenneth Avenue
Greenlawn, NY 11740-2900
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The Elwood Union Free School District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origins, age, disabilities, or sexual orientation in its educational programs or employment.
Click to view the district performace review plan (PDF)
Click to view the district professional development plan (PDF)
To view available openings or for more information, please visit the OLAS (On-Line Application System) System.
Location: Elwood is a small, suburban community located in the Town of Huntington in western Suffolk County, New York. Our school district includes parts of the Huntington Town postal delivery areas of East Northport, Greenlawn, and Huntington. We are on Long Island’s north shore, about 40 miles east of New York City. Elwood is easily accessible via the Island’s network of highways, and offers ready access to shopping, recreation, business, colleges, and universities.
Community Profile: Upon arrival in Elwood, our central location and easy accessibility yield to a lovely suburban community that still retains the undertones of its rural heritage. Elwood’s high school and middle school are located on a spacious, green campus surrounded by fields, farms, and parkland. Our primary and intermediate elementary buildings fill out complement of schools. Stores and shops line two streets in Elwood; the remainder of our community consists almost exclusively of private homes. Elwood’s residents are hard workers who have a giant investment in, and high regard for, their public schools. Community interest centers on the schools. Sports, plays, concerts, and art exhibits typify the myriad activities to be encountered.
Special District Features:
- Over 90% of Elwood’s high school graduates go to college.
- Our students consistently score well above national, state, and county averages on many standardized tests.
- We emphasize literacy and use whole language, basal, and phonetic approaches to reading.
- Our music program and band are exceptional
- We have child care programs in both elementary schools
- Our sports and co-curricular activity programs are comprehensive and we encourage all students to participate
- Working conditions – salaries, benefits, and educational climate – are excellent.
- We foster, encourage, and value staff and student creativity!
- 194 teachers
- 16 administrators
- 138 support staff
- 2,625 students in grades K-12
- Harley Avenue Primary School (K-2)
- James H. Boyd Intermediate School (3-5)
- Elwood Middle School (6-8)
- Elwood-John Glenn High School (9-12)
- Very competitive for the area
- Eligibility dependent upon hours of employment and specific employment unit
- Medical coverage: Empire Plan plus enhancements
- Available additional wrap-around medical plan
- Prescription drug plan
- Available comprehensive dental insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability insurance
- Tax-sheltered annuity plans
Credit union payroll deduction plans